Thursday, November 13, 2014

Is it time to fire your Doctor?

 As I sat in the Rheumatologist office, I hoped that today would be the day he had answers. I filled out the form as usual, circling the parts of my body that hurt,any recent changes,emergency room visits, prescription medicines and my growing list of symptoms. 


I went into his office, he reviewed my chart, asked me who had diagnosed me with hypothyroidism, scribbled some notes and then handed me a tri-fold pamphlet detailing Fibromyalgia-sending me on my way.  As I exited his office, tears were streaming down my face. I spent the next thirty minutes in the parking lot crying, angry with the doctor, with Fibromyalgia and with the world. Out of all the medical issues in the world, why did I get diagnosed with the one that is not yet understood by the medical community? What is this stupid pamphlet going to do for me when I'm in pain? Am I supposed to read the pain away? 

I've heard way too many stories similar to mine. Fibromyalgia patients everywhere leaving their Doctor's office in tears.
I now understand that our MD's are only a piece of the puzzle. I no longer expect to receive answers while I am there, unless it is a new symptom (9 out of 10 times that symptom somehow ties in to Fibromyalgia anyway).  However, they still have an obligation to treat us with Respect & Compassion. In fact, they took an oath to do just that. 
I have a wonderful Doctor-Patient relationship with my Primary Care Physician. He listens, we discuss treatment options/plans, I never feel rushed, he is empathetic and assures me that he wants to find answers just as much as I do. 

"Doctors are scientists and when we can't figure out the science, we become just as frustrated as our patients".

Your MD should be open to a patient centered care approach. S/he must be empathetic. S/he must understand Fibromyalgia and the symptoms, conditions commonly associated with this syndrome. 
List created by the National Fibromyalgia Association

If you are not content with your Doctor, you can start a Doctor search by visiting the National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association Heath Care Directory: http://www.fmcpaware.org/healthcare-provider-directory.html

Word of Mouth or Referrals are also a good place to start. Ask others in support groups or who live near you. 

Call the office and ask if the Doctor has experience in seeing patients with Fibromyalgia. 

You are allowed to change Doctors, even with managed health care. We deal with so many symptoms and conditions that our Doctor's must be Supportive, Understanding and Knowledgeable about the options available to manage pain.
Allowing people with Fibromyalgia to suffer is Inhumane & Unacceptable!

Sharing is Caring!

No comments:

Post a Comment