Thursday, November 20, 2014

Do we learn to manage symptoms or do we adapt to a body with pain?

The question I ask myself every single time I am in the midst of a flare. For years after my diagnosis, I only experienced bad days. I could not remember what good days were or felt like. As I researched options available, began journaling to identify triggers and found support within my FM community-the good days really did begin outweighing the bad days. Today, I still experience flares. In fact I have been in the midst of one for a few weeks now. These are the times when I question whether I have really found a way to manage my Fibromyalgia or have I just adapted to the new me?

Can we fake it until we become it?


The problem with this Science (guess my PCP is right in saying that the science has yet to be discovered) and Fibromyalgia is that my body does not always agree with what my brain has to offer. During those times, I allow body & mind to agree to disagree. I demand that my mind take a backseat while my body has time to heal. 

Therefore, the answer to my question is YES to both. By managing symptoms I have been able to have more pain free days. By adapting to my new body, I have accepted that with it comes pain, fatigue and fog- the battle continues.  

This battle is definitely worth fighting, since in the end I reap the benefits.



Sharing is Caring!



No comments:

Post a Comment