Sunday, December 7, 2014

Baby it's Cold outside


I enjoy snow sledding, snow mobiling, the aroma of burning wood and fresh pine in NJ during the winter and traveling through NYC penn station and seeing it transformed into a Winter Wonderland.


What I don't enjoy is the way my body reacts to cold. My fibromyalgia usually runs rabid whenever there is a drastic change in temperature and ALWAYS during times of Rain.

Rain, Rain go Away, I have fibro and the pain is not welcomed to stay.

It may be cold outside, but there are ways to keep our bodies warm.

Ugg boots are the best shoe ever made! They can be a bit pricey and may not go with every outfit but they keep my feet warm which in turn makes me comfortable. I can always be more fashionable in the warmer months when I feel better and can choose from a wide variety of sandals. Life is about making compromises anyway.

I have traded in Soda for Tea. This is a win-win situation. We have all heard the disturbing side effects of soda and the wonderful benefits of drinking tea. The tea keeps me warm and helps with other issues as well. Peppermint Tea aides with the symptoms of IBS and Chamomile aides with winding down after a long day.

I could not survive a winter without my heating blanket. I remember walking through Walmart, noticing heating blankets on sale and thinking that would be a nice gift for my mom when she is elderly and needs to remain warm. My mom has yet to receive one for Christmas; however, it is the best $19.99 ever spent. It not only helps me stay warm during the night, it also feels nice to get in a warm bed after coming in from the cold (I use it as the top sheet, not as a cover).  I also learned something new-heating blankets are not made only for the elderly.

Warm baths are my new best friend. That is until the water heater decides it needs a break. I've never really believed that taking breaks from relationships were beneficial to either party but my relationship is with the warm bath and not the water heater. Guess this proves that relationships are really only meant for two people. The warm bath in the AM helps get my body warm and ready to tackle the winter cold. The warm bath in the PM helps get my body warm after being out in the cold and is a relaxing way to wind down after fighting fibromyalgia all day.

This is how I tackle the Cold & Rain in an attempt to manage symptoms. When all else fails, I remind myself that this too shall pass and it ALWAYS does!


Sharing is Caring!

No comments:

Post a Comment