Friday, October 10, 2014

Run Milly Run!

I was conditioned to believe that when you are sick you pop a pill, get rest and the next day you wake up feeling better.  While that may be true for "normal" people it is often not the case for people living with Fibromyalgia. 

Our daily reality is more like the seven dwarfs :

Sleepy-Oh those darn Chronic Fatigue Days.

Dopey-When you can't take the pain anymore and give into the narcotics prescribed by your MD.

Bashful-We just never know what might come out of our mouth-Fibro Fog.

Doc-Since Md's don't understand us we have to figure ourselves out.

Grumpy-You would be too, if you were constantly in pain.

Happy-On those HAPPY Pain Free Days!

Sneezy-Allergies are commonly associated with Fibromyalgia (along with 49 other conditions.. but we will get to that in a later post).


I tried OTC medicines, prescription medicines, sleeping more. So why on Earth was I not feeling better? I no longer had a PCP.  I now had a team of Doctors that consisted of a PCP, GYN, Rheumatologist, Gastroenterologist, Dermatologist, Neurologist and not one could provide me with any relief from my symptoms.  I started drafting a contingency plan in my head for the day when I could no longer work.  Heck-I even started questioning myself and whether this was all in my head.  Everyone else my age was out enjoying life and all I could do was push myself to work and even that was proving to be more difficult on a daily basis.  My co-workers were running marathons and here I was, unable to walk up a flight of stairs without feeling like I was about to die.  Yup… I was hating.  Why was I handed this shitty deck of cards with Fibromyalgia?



Then out of the blue one day as I reflected back on my life, I reminded myself that life has never been easy for me and still I had a 100% track record of over coming every obstacle placed in front of me-until Fibromyalgia. It was then that I decided  to  try this walking bit that everyone kept talking about. If Fibromyalgia was going to give me uninvited pain then why be afraid of pain that I cause on myself.



I began my daily walks in the park. I enjoyed the tranquility of being surrounded by nature and found it helpful in de stressing from the negativity of the day. Not only was I feeling better mentally but physically as well. I began jogging and eventually I was running, it was my way of being able to run away from everything that bothered me even if only for 1/2 an hour.  I felt the fibro pains many times and still do today.  I ignore the pain because it is my way of taking back control of my body. I registered for a 3k run for healthy kids and the goal was to finish. Guess What? I ran a 5k with a few stops to catch my breath and yes I cried when I sprinted across that finish line because I knew that although I have Fibromyalgia it does not have me.

Read my next posts to hear what else I did to  restore mind, body, spirit and soul.  Running was just the icing on the cake.






No comments:

Post a Comment